Saturday 13 October 2007

The need for an army

Ok. now that i calmed down abit and analysed everything.

Pros (not that there are any like i said in one of my earlier posts, but what i would say as relative pros):
  • The earlier you enter, the earlier you exit.
    not totally true as i have already an extra one month from my failing of my natpha.. but come 2010, i would still be out by Jan after 762 days of serving the nation. dunno bout anyone. but 'serving the nation' has slavery connotations to me.
  • I would not have to endure with days and hours of having nothing to do. In fact, i would have so much to do. But wait. Isn't the former what i prefer?
  • Who don't love the army?
    er.... me? and dont even get me started on the uselessness of a defense force in Singapore. yet.
Cons:
  • Well. given a choice i would rather go in later than 2 days after my 18th birthday. What a wonderful birthday present the Singapore government had kindly given me.
  • I wont even live to see my A level results.
anyway. its not about the pros and cons of going into the army. but seriously. A country the size of Singapore hardly needs an army for defence and a huge one that is. Singapore has 16.40 troops per thousand singaporean citizens, which means by this ratio we are ranked 12th in the world ahead of the world largest countries US (4.76), China (1.71), Canada (1.93), military controlled countries Myanmar (11.40) and densely populated cities such as Monaco (no army), Hong Kong (volunteers) and The Vatican City (neutral and armyless) or the next densely populated country in the world, Malta. Also, we are ranked 61st by number of active troops. Ahead of countries such as Australia, Netherlands, South Africa and Portugal which are all at least 10 times the size of singapore, and in Australia's case hundreds of times. More prove our army is oversized? We are 22nd in the world in terms of defense expenditure ahead even of Iran and North Korea. I agree for defense and peacekeeping, we do need a defense force, but not an army that huge for a country supposedly ranked 29th for peacefullness sized less than 0.01% of the earth.

The costs are just too high. not monetary costs. but opportunity costs for everyone. 2 years is not a short period of time. Bill gates forsaken his college education to save his 2 years. and for everyone 2 years is a long time. A levels is a 2 years course and anyone saying that this 2 years are as much a waste of time as army could bloody go sign on the army forever. 2 years are nothing to some, but even with a high life expectancy of 78 for males in singapore ( i myself do not think i would live till that cos of my sickly body), 2 years are 2.56% of one's lifetime and if everyone is making such a big fuss over a 2% rise in GST. is 2.56% of ones life less costly? or is life worth less than money to everyone?

Sure. one may argue that the army let you gain insights on other parts of life and do your part for the country. But is not studying and graduating early so that you could contribute to GDP doing your part for the country? And given a choice, i would hardly wait to continue my education and continue to work hard towards my dream of owning a private island somewhere in fiji, micronesia, mauritus or some country with many inhabited islands. Yes, it cannot be denied that going into the army nurtures skills such as determination and diligience etc. but does it also not rub off one's creativity and individuality and makes everyone stick to conformity? And is the 'course fees' of 2 years of our life too high? And again one can argue that isn't conformity what singapore needs? a common identity that the government wants? and the same old arguement that 'Singapore is a small country and we can't have radical people left and right attacking the government'. The same reasons public gatherings of more than 5 people needs a permit and the same reason Dr Chee gets into trouble again and again. Not that i agree of his actions. But do we really want 4 million citizens of unswaying obedience to the government? What if the government fails one day. I mean the government now is strong, good ,and in fact very good, and i am very thankful to have the government we have now but what if one day someone bad gets into power?

Also, one may say that NS is our way of giving to society and as John Kennedy said 'ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.". but shouldn't we have a choice on thinking what we could do for our country. I am not a genius in any way and nor am i rare talent by any means. but shouldn't people such as the pianist whom was so much critised last time for evading NS be free from NS for their contributions to the country? And shouldn't all be free to choose how to serve the country? some who feel that joining the army and the best they could do is to defend the country could join the army. those who think that they could win medals for their countries will do sports. and those, like me, who feel that their best contribution perhaps would come from economic means, should pursue that degree and work and contribute to GDP. And as an addition to the conformity due to the military lifestyle point above, Didn't Kennedy also said that "Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.", so is conscription really best for us?

Nevertheless, I am not altogether against my enlistment or as some may have thought by reading the above paragraphs. I am just stating my case and my beliefs. Many would not agree with my view but yeah who cares. The truth is. I am proud of Singapore but i would not be ready to lay down my life for her. I salute those who will. but to me, I am just not ready to die. Call me a coward. Call me a wimp. But at the end of the day, i believe each man for himself and i seriously want to have a wholesome life that does not end before i hit 20.

But the way i see it. My enlistment and conscription is already a hard fact built into my garden of destiny and for now. there is only one path ahead. And thus. I shall go in with an open mind. and well, do the best that i can of it, and perhaps like choir last time, it won't be as bad as i think it would be. Or as my mother puts it 既来之,则安之.

till nxt time

No comments: