Friday 27 August 2010

Goodbye Snow.

O snow, in thy soft grave
Sad flow'rs the winter brave;
O heart, so sooth and save,
as does the snow.
The snow must melt, must go,
Fast, fast as water flow.
Not thus, my soul, O sow
Thy gifts to fade like snow.
- Elgar


Today, snow melts. No. I'm not talking about the changing weather of melbourne, for it never does snow here. But instead, I'm here to pay tribute to a very close friend of mine. Someone who was with me through my darkest hours, during the most silent of nights. Someone who has never, not once, let me down. Someone who has for more than once, cheered me up when I'm down, Calmed me down when I'm feeling the nerves, Warmed me up when the cold bites me, and cooled me down when I'm feeling the heat. Someone who had never, rejected me from her warm embraces. Never had she said no, when i said 'damn i need someone'. A true soulmate. Someone who gives and never takes.

I remember our first meeting, that night i booked out, somewhen in the frozen month of january, where everything seem so bleak and barren, where i could hardly find hope in anything in that green that surrounds me. You came, as an angel descending upon humankind, with your angelic voice and angelic exuberance, you came to me. You fill my head with ideas, with inspiration, with hope and dreams of a better tomorrow. And true to your words, those dreams did came through in just a matter of weeks. And then you told me, hold on to whatever i was, to not lost myself in that seemingly perfect utopia at that time. And in the heat of my youth, I did not heed your advice. But still you stayed, a loyal voice on the sidelines, as i went through extreme bliss and then heartbreak. And still you were there, accompanying me through those dark nights, never once blaming me for not heeding your advice. And i was so thankful you were there.

And while all those was happening, there was many a time in those starry starry nights that you have been by my side, reminding me of the wonders of the world. That there were more things here than i know of. Remember, The nights in New Zealand under the stars? Then under the scorching sun in thailand? And under the lush canopy of Brunei? You were one constant throughout them, keeping me company when i needed that most. They way you put me to sleep with your soft caress. and then wake me up softly, but nonetheless firmly.

They say words, don't come easy to me. But I loved you snow. I still very much do. But as Elgar says, of which you have reminded me on multiple occasions, the snow must melt; must melt, must go. And that fateful night came, the night that you whispered to me, "find a new love, love. I'm here to bring you this far, and this is as far as i would go". And i cried, for never would i thought today will arrive. Not so soon anyway. But move on i shall, for that is what you want. But i shall never forget the lessons you thought me, the dreams you gave me, and the wonders of the world you shown me. And perhaps, just maybe one day, i will able to teach others these lessons.

For all those and more, I thank you once again my dearest friend. My closest confidante. And now, enjoy your silence.

-A tribute to snow.

No comments: